Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Good Trail

Proverbs 2:9 (MSG)
So now you can pick out what's true and fair, find all the good trails!

Ahhh....yes....the good trails!  I went hiking this past summer through a gorgeous mountainous region in the northern United States.





I call it "hiking", because I am a city girl, but it would probably more appropriately be termed...."walking"...as there were actual trails that we followed.  Please also keep in mind, that the name of the area in which we hiked had the word "Bear" in it.  That's a little bit intimidating to those of us who are not accustomed to these types of adventures!  Despite all of this, I powered up my mind with terms like:  mountain girl, explorer, adventurer, and pioneer just to give me the courage I needed to embark upon this unchartered territory!

As we started our journey into the forrest, I was immediately surrounded by sounds of multiple bird calls, and the fresh scent of mountain air!  It was breath taking!  There were towering pine trees and tiny delicate flowers, side by side.  There were rocks and fallen trees in amongst smooth portions of lucious green grass and Rhododendrons.  I was astounded by the beauty of it all.  At one point we came to a "Y" on the route.  We assumed that both trails would lead to the end destination, (a beautiful opening and also the turn around point), so we each chose our way. Part of us went on one trail and the others went on the opposite crosscut.  The one we got on turned out to be full of "horse sized" misquitoes with craggy terraine, muddy~slippery footing, and  encroaching limbs all across the narrow byway.  We pressed on, however, and did finally make it to the meadow!  We waited a short while, in expectation, for the other part of our crew to show up.  When they didn't, we started back tracking to see if we could find them.  We eventually hooked back up.  As it turns out, the trail they chose didn't lead them anywhere.  It looked to be the more weathered footway, but it came to a dead end.  They had to retreat and retrace old territory to find their way to our final destination.

 The conclusion I draw from this is, that in life, sometimes the "easy trails" really don't lead anywhere!  Often times, when I think I am on the right path, I find out that I chose incorrectly and I have to retrace my steps to place myself back on the desired trail.  If I don't recalibrate, I won't be making it to my end goal.  I am praying today for a continued sensitivity to what trail the Lord wants me on each day, because I read in this verse that His trail is the "good" one!!  (By the way, we didn't see any bears....thankfully!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment