Friday, April 29, 2011

The Trapper

Proverbs 6:5 (MSG)
Run like a deer from the hunter, fly like a bird from the trapper!

They parked their cars and began filing in.  Some of them were quick and sure footed and others were slow and steady.  A few had canes and still one other was ushered in by wheelchair.....but they came.....they most certainly came.  As I handed out the programs, each of them smiled and seemed thrilled to have the chance to peek into the life of their sweet grandchildren.  Just the mere mention of their little one's (or in some cases...older one's) name and their face would light up with enough glowing power to fill an auditorium!!  What a privilege to be a part of such a special day...........

Today was Grandparents Day at my
daughter's school.  It is one day set aside each year to honor and serve our children's grandparents.  What a pleasure to greet each of them as they arrived.  As one beautiful elderly woman came in the door of the school, we wanted to take a picture of her.  She truly was beautiful in every way, as you could sense her gentle spirit flowing freely in just the little time we talked. 

I asked this beautiful lady if it would be alright to snap a picture of her.  She quickly had this to say....."Oh no~no pictures!!  I look in the mirror and that person looking back at me is not the young person that I still feel like on the inside."  We went on to talk some more, and I discovered that she remains the same youthful spirit on the inside, but is frustrated with the "old person" that stares back at her every morning in her mirror.  You see where my thoughts are going now, don't you?  No?  Well....keep reading....

This amazing woman has been trapped by the "trapper".....of age.  Even more intriguing to me, is that we will all eventually be caught by the trapper of age...some of us sooner than others....as I can relate with some of this already....I am sighing.... 

Now, having said that, there is more than one "trapper" out there.  You might feel trapped in a relationship, a career, a habit....the list goes on and on.  The powerful answer on 'how to get out of the trap' is written down right here in this verse!!  The solution is to MOVE!  For the deer it is to run.  For the bird it is to fly.

For the elderly, the solution is to love, pray, and be a part of their children and grandchildren's life.....just like this special grandparent was doing today.  In a failing marriage?  Run to a Christian Marriage Counselor and seek help in restoring your lives.  (If physical abuse and safety are a concern for you, however, please seek help by clicking here.)  In a job you are not satisfied with?  Explore your options and the gifting that God has given you and follow your open doors, after prayer.  Chained to an unhealthy habit?  Admit it to yourself, then a trusted friend, and then commit to getting the help you need to break the cycle.   

Being "trapped" is not a good feeling.  I guess the point of this verse, in my mind, is that I'm not really trapped, I just feel like I am.  Thankfully, I do not have to act on my feelings, but on my convictions.  When I take a good honest look at my situation and pray about it, I begin to see clearly through God's perspective the changes that I need and CAN make through the power of our ressurected Savior!

Leaving you with a scripture that I read during my time with Him this morning~

I Corinthians 15:34(MSG)
Think straight.  Awaken to the holiness of life.  No more playing fast and loose with resurrection facts.  Ignorance of God is a luxury you can't afford in times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment