Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Sleepless Night

Proverbs 3:24 (ESV)
If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Tossing and turning, I moved the pillow first up and then down. It was proving to be another sleepless night full of unsettling thoughts.


I wish I could tell you that I have never had nights like this, but I would be lying to you if I said that.  I want to say that over the course of time, I have always had sweet sleep and that if I ever had a sense of fear, I immediately turned to the Lord in prayer and my peace was restored.  Again, I would not be completely truthful if I said those things, because while I am learning to instantly take all my cares to Him who already knows all my thoughts, I still forget sometimes.  I still wrestle in my mind over certain issues that are taking place in my life, in my children's lives, in my friend's lives, in my dog's lives...ok..not really the dogs, but it is almost that bad... you get the idea!
The Webster's Dictionary defines "keep" in this manner: "to hold and not let go".  Today's verse is referring to the sound wisdom and discretion from Proverbs 3:21.  That verse reads that we are to "keep" them with us at all times.  If I will hold God's wisdom and not let it go, I am promised a peaceful night of sleep without terror.
Many restless nights in the past, I have experienced the power of His wise word as it washed over me and brought comfort to my aching heart.  In those times, the scripture would flood my mind and exchange the worry for tranquillity, which served to calm my internal storms.  I am so thankful for the refuge that God provides. Praying today for a tighter hold on Him who quiets the night and keeps my sleep sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment