Monday, February 21, 2011

The Pace Car

Proverbs 3:23 (ESV)
Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble.

Ok....I'm not a Nascar fan necessarily....but yesterday's race at the Daytona 500 was...stunning to say the least!!  A twenty year old, Trevor Bayne, won the Sprint Cup's biggest race in what was only his second start.


I happened to be buzzing through the living room where my husband sat with his eyes fixed to the race.  I plopped down and watched as the last cars standing, after a nasty crash during a green-white-checkered flag had taken out some of the top contenders, flew around the track.  They were finishing their final laps.  In the lead was a young man, who apparently just turned twenty one the day before.  It was only his second Spring Cup start and here he was in the front!  That is apparently unheard of!!
As he crossed the finish line in first place, there were loud roars as the crowd, already to their feet, screamed with great joyful passion.  Then, I watched as this new driver drove his car around and even missed the Victory Lane turn off.  He had to get directions from the pit crew just to find his way there.
Even with all that, however, what struck me as even more phenomenal were the first few words out of his mouth.  I am not quoting here, but in response to being asked how he felt, he said something like....Well, we all prayed before we got started, so I knew it wasn't too hard for God....He is very powerful and I just want to give Him the glory!  Wow...
Today's verse is talking about walking on our way without stumbling.  Like a pace car, the Lord out in front of us, keeps us from falling flat on our faces! 
Romans 3:27-28 (MSG) says, "What we've learned is this: God does not respond to what we do; we respond to what God does.  We've finally figured it out.  Our lives get in step with God and all others by letting him set the pace, not by proudly or anxiously trying to run the parade."  I'm praying today to be less in charge and allow the Lord to remain in front....
As a foot note....I might just become a Nascar fan yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment