Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Loving Correction

Proverbs 3:11 (MSG)
But don't, dear friend, resent God's discipline; don't sulk under His loving correction.

In the Message//Remix: PAUSE Daily Reading Bible, Eugene Peterson says, "We try to reduce God to a size that conveniently fits our plans and amitions and tastes."

Eugene Peterson goes on to say, "But our Scriptures are even more stubborn in telling us that we can't do it.  God cannot be fit into our plans, we must fit into His.  We can't use God--God is not a tool or appliance or credit card.  God wants you to live in His presence.  He wants to make you holy, just as He is holy." (Italics mine.)  He continues to remind the reader, that "...sin cuts people off from God," and refers to Romans 3:23 (NIV) .."for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
When God choses to discipline me, I know it is so that I can fit into His plan!  It is Him moving me out of "my presence" and selfishness into His presence.  It is a much more wonderful plan for my life and the lives of those that He has given me the opportunity to impact for His glory.  This is a huge comfort to me knowing that I am cared for and loved enough by the God of the universe, that He would not allow certain sins to continue in my life, because He knows that they will eventually be very harmful to me, as well as, those I am supposed to be loving in His name. 
It definitely reminds me of my role as a parent.  When I have to lovingly stand firm in boundaries that I know are necessary for the protection of my children, I do it, despite my kids sometimes sullen reactions. 
I am praying today to receive all of the Lord's correction with a heart that is full of joy, knowing that the discipline He gives me, has the purpose of moving me into His presence and out of my own presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment