Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Broken Window

Proverbs 3:25 (MSG)
No need to panic over alarms or surprises, or predictions that doomsday's just around the corner,

I was very preoccupied with my window today.  Every time I passed by it, I wondered about it.  It wasn't what I was seeing outside of the window that was bothering me....

it was a crack in the window pane on the inside that was drawing my attention.  I had noticed this fissure a few days ago, and so at that time, I asked the family if anyone knew what had happened to it.  No one knew.  It was a mystery?  One day it was fine and the next day, it was broken.  It isn't shattered, it's just split.  Will this area grow longer?  Will I have to replace this window?  It isn't leaking...yet.
I was so distracted by this crack,  that I never even looked out past it into the back yard to notice the beautiful sunshine brightly staring down from the sky.  Nor did I see the birds playfully darting in and out of the trees trying to decide if spring was really here or not.  I focused only on that split....wondering how it had happened, what would happen to it, and what could I do about it.  I never came up with any answers to any of my questions.  The more I passed by the window, the bigger the crack got in my mind.  "Wait..is it longer?  I think it's longer!  I think it's a little bit wider?!  It's supposed to rain tonight, what if it starts leaking in the middle of the night!"  Finally, I solved the problem....I quit focusing all of my energy on it!
My window represents the "surprises, alarms, and doomsday predictions" in the verse for today.  There is no need for me to be dismayed, because my God is bigger than all of it...and He promises to (Psalm 139:5)  "...hem me in, behind and before, and lay (His) hand upon me."  Praying tonight to lay hold to the truths of God, so that I might see past the broken areas in my life into the fullness of my Father's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment