Friday, May 27, 2011

Problems Solved In His Presence.....

Psalm 139:7 (NIV)
Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence? 


My summer trip to the mountains is in full swing.  As I enjoy the beautiful  Appalachian mountain air and the crisp cool waters of the surrounding lakes, my mind and heart keep returning to those being affected by the Joplin tornadoes.  I want so badly to have answers for "why" something so devastating would happen....as though that would some how help to make sense of it all.

My mind wanders back to my Algebra class in High School.  I loved Math, but I usually had  sections that I struggled with.  My mother (the accountant) was always standing by and ready to assist me with those long tedious assignments.  She would tell me, "Go through the problems one at a time.  Work through each question, answering those that you know and skip those that you are unsure of.  When you come to the end of your assignment, bring those questions to me that you were not able to complete and I will help you work through them to obtain the answer." 

That's what I will have to do with this tragedy....solve the problems that I know how to solve.  That's what I see the body of Christ doing in the aftermath of this tremendous loss.  They're getting busy on the assignment~working and answering those problems that they know how to solve.  The same can be said for many of my friends back home. Immediately after the tornado touched down people began to do what they could do to help.  Friends on Face Book started using their profile page as a contact point in an effort to connect those that were not able to reach loved ones.  The basic needs of shelter, food, and clothing began streaming in.  Prayer chains were started  (and still are for that matter) for the storm victims and their families.


Groups of people near and far are reaching out and answering the problems that they know how to answer.  What an amazing outpouring of love and a wonderful display of the Holy Spirit!  His presence is in all that is being done for those that have suffered such great loss.

As for the "why" it happened, well....I will have to save that question and bring that to (in this case) my Father when I get to the end of my earthly assignment....cuz, I just don't think I can solve this one on my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment