Monday, May 2, 2011

Military Salute

Proverbs 6:8 (MSG)
So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing?  How long before you get out of bed?

I am continually amazed at how these verses keep tracking my every move!  It is another rainy Monday morning, and my daughter is sick, so I stayed in bed with her until...well, let's just say...much later than usual.  As I opened the Bible to ponder my verse for the day, this is what I read...."How long before you get out of bed?"  Funny...huh? 

Before retiring last night, President Obama interrupted broadcasting to announce that United States Special Forces had killed one of the most wanted terrorists in all of the nations, Osama Bin Ladin.  The headlines are full of this event...even the front page of our local paper has his picture sprawled from one corner to the other.  It is somewhat difficult to process all of the information that has been so freely available today, as graphic details of the event, including pictures of the last room this man and his son occupied, are presented to the nation.

It has stirred deep emotions within each one of us.  From what I am reading so far, there are reactions ranging from joy and relief to anger, fear and dread.  I can't imagine what those who lost loved ones during the day of September 11, 2001 are feeling.  As the images from that day resurface and raw emotions are rekindled, I suspect a highly charged week of intense evaluation.  

I am thankful tonight for the men and women who serve their country so faithfully and sacrificially, and thereby allow us the freedom to live in a democratic society. Praying for their safety tonight as they continue their missions all around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment