Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Go Ahead~Take The Nap

Proverbs 6:10(MSG)
A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there, sit back, take it easy--do you know what comes next?

Why do I get the feeling what comes next is not a trip to a tropical island for more relaxing?  It's sort of hard to relate to this verse at this point in my life.  Probably in your life too.  If you're like me, even when you do have an "official" day off....which for us Mom's is oh let's say "never", you don't get to spend it "napping" and lazing around ALL day.  I think this weekend and yesterday were the first times I've slept~in, in forever.  Our culture just doesn't really "allow" that anymore. 


I really do loooooooonng to slip back in time to the "Andy Griffith" days.  Wouldn't it be fun to pull up a stool and share a soda every afternoon and just chat about life.  The evenings in front of the fire with Pa playing his fiddle in the "Little House On The Prairie" episodes seem very inticing as well.  Seriously.... they only thought about one thing at a time....really focused on being present in that moment.

 Have you ever just watched how many people whip out their phones and start their thumb excercises when they have three spare seconds, surfing through e-mails and launching texts like they're in a race to the finish!!  (Myself included in that, by the way....saying that with a little bit of pride and a little bit of shame.  Pride, because I can now operate one of these gadgets and shame because I sometimes let it distract me from real people time.)  Hmmm....interesting thoughts. 

We have the ability to communicate with someone halfway across the world instantly.  We are pretty much thinking  in forward motion all of the time.  I'm going to answer this verse tonight...even though I know it is the wrong answer....cuz...I cheated and read ahead....

Do you know what I think comes after a nap here and a nap there~a day off here a day off there.....for those who rarely ever do that sort of thing?!!  A new perspective on life...a more joyful and hopeful outlook on your circumstances.  It is so important to rest!  I don't think a lot of us are doing enough of it.

And so...I am off to rest and sleep. 

Lord,
I know that many of us are not finding adequate time to rest and restore our bodies.  I don't know why You designed these bodies to need sleep and rest, but You most certainly did.  Help us to allow ourselves the permission to take the time we need to rejuvenate and care for the temples that You have blessed us with.  And, Father, as I write this, I can't help but think of other reasons for no sleep...like fear, pain, no shelter, lonliness, hunger, illness, worry, and anxiety.  I'm asking You to lift those burdens from anyone that might be reading this and experiencing that right now.  Help us to rest in the shelter of Your wings.  Thank you, Lord!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment