Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Smooth (Soothe) Road

Proverbs 4:26 (MSG)
Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you.

No surprise here, but the tulip hasn't grown anything yet.  Of course, I didn't expect it to.  I have sheltered it from the "spring" cold and is sitting in the window where it should be getting sun....if there were any sun to get!  I am definitely ready for some sunshine...sigh...maybe tomorrow.  I guess rain is better than snow, though.....sorry sweet Northern Sister, for the six inches of white stuff you received over night.

Since watching my plant isn't getting me anywhere, I suppose I will "watch my step."  Tonight's Bible verse tells me to~watch my step and the road will stretch out smooth before me.  Oh boy, this is a tough one for me to figure out.  In my life, I can say with confidence that I have watched my step and my road is anything but smooth....although, I realize that it could be a great deal more challenging, I certainly have some big obstacles in my past, present, and probably my future.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the word smooth?  Let's look it up.  Webster's dictionary says that smooth means having an even surface without any lumps.  There is another five meanings that are all about the same thing....but wait a minute.  Down at the bottom of the list there is a definition that might be more in line with what I have experienced through the years.  It states, "To make calm; soothe."  Now that matches my relationship with the Lord!

As I watch my steps through prayer, reading the Bible, worship, and obedience, I have found that once again the Lord is with me.  He loves me and is faithful to keep me calm and soothe my aches and pains.  I can tell you that I do not have a "lump free" road!!  The Bible, in fact, is clear that we won't have a bumpless journey down here.  However, we will have a Father who hears us when we cry out to Him.  We do have a Father who promises to never leave us or forsake us. (Deuteronomy 31:6)  We do have a Father who longs to be close to us! 

Father,
I'm praying tonight specifically for anyone who might be reading this that has suffered many bumps and lumps on their path through life.  I know that it can feel so lonely and dark when we suffer.  Sometimes, we can feel like You have left us, when in fact, You never moved!  In actuality it was us who chose to step away...or maybe we got blown off course from a physical illness, abuse, rejection, an unforgiving heart, pride, confusion and the list goes on and on.  Please gently pull us back onto your road and soothe us with your Holy Spirit.  Counsel each one of us tonight in Your compassionate wisdom and love.  Thank you for always hearing our prayers!
In Jesus Name~Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment