Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Review: Pujols: More Than A Game

The book Pujols: More Than The Game by Scott Lamb and Tim Ellsworth was a great read!  After completing the book, I have a huge respect for this man’s heart and a clear understanding of his mission.

I chose the book Pujols: More Than The Game by Scott Lamb and Tim Ellsworth, because my son is a huge fan of Albert Pujols.  When I saw the title of the book, I was thrilled to see that he is not only an amazing ball player, which I already knew, but a Christ follower as well, which I didn’t know. 

This biography opens with the story of Albert Pujols’ meager beginnings in Santo Domingo.  Most of the population there would be considered by United States standards to be living at or below the poverty level.  The fact that there were nights that he went to bed hungry, at times had dirt floors in his home, and used a milk carton for a glove, sticks for a bat, and a lime for a ball, just to play baseball were endearing enough to learn, but add to it Albert’s attributing his grandmother for “making him the man he is today”, and I was hooked!

Throughout the book, the authors tell of Albert’s saving faith in Jesus Christ.  They quote him as stating, “Baseball is simply my platform to elevate Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.”  Each chapter is rich with details.   The authors discuss his family as having great worth to him, including his wife Deidra and their four children, one of which has Downs Syndrome.  They also discuss the organization that he and his wife launched together called the “Pujols Family Foundation.” 

If it’s statistical information on Pujols or the St. Louis Cardinals you’re after, then you won’t be disappointed!  The book is rich in game history, stats, and trivia.  There is even an entire chapter written about the false reporting that occurred in 2007 around the Mitchell Report and Pujols’ supposed use of PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs). 

This was a well written book that clearly defines to the reader details of Pujols’ life and his mission to give God the glory for his talents.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and would therefore highly recommend it. 

Thank you to Thomas Nelson Publishing (since 1798) for this review copy of Pujols: More Than The Game, provided to me through BookSneeze.  The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment