Monday, August 22, 2011

He Really CAN Take Care Of This

Psalm 136:15(MSG)
Dumped Pharaoh and his army in the sea, His love never quits.

So here's what I've been thinking this week.  How big is God?  Seriously?  Do I really believe that He is big enough to take care of my life?  Do I think He is strong enough; smart enough; loving enough that I can trust Him with my situation or don't I?  I "talk a good talk" about His love, but do I firmly believe that His love for me is great enough to part an ocean so that I can walk through on dry ground without getting wet?!  Further still, do I walk like I believe it?

My questions and tonight's verse have led me back to the story of the Israelites when they thought they were cornered between an endless sea of water and an unrelenting Egyptian army on the hunt to destroy them.  The story is found in Exodus chapter 14.  A few things stood out boldly as I read it. 

First of all, the Israelites were afraid.  Are you afraid?  I am.

Exodus 14:10-12(MSG): As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up and saw them--Egyptians!  Coming at them!  They were totally afraid. They cried out in terror to God.  (Italics mine.)

Secondly,  they were asking questions.  Are you asking questions about why you are in the situation you are in?  I most certainly am.

Exodus 14:12....Weren't the cemeteries large enough in Egypt so that you had to take us out here in the wilderness to die?  What have you done to us, taking us out of Egypt?  Back in Egypt didn't we tell you this would happen?  Didn't we tell you 'Leave us alone here in Egypt--we're better off as slaves in Egypt than as corpses in the wilderness?'"

Finally, they received their answer from a man who was in a very close relationship with God.  He had some very clear advice that helped them way back then and has helped me right where I'm at today, to believe that God is able to meet every need I have!  Here's what He told them:

Exodus 14:13(MSG) 
Moses spoke to the people:  "Don't be afraid.  Stand firm and watch God do his work of salvation for you today.  Take a good look at the Egyptians today for you're never going to see them again.  God will fight the battle for you."  

The Israelites were in a pretty tough predicament.  They were as the saying goes, "Between a rock and a hard place".  Are you in a tight spot right now?  If it seems like there is absolutely no way to be rescued from the situation you are in, then it is the perfect scenario for God to show up in a magnificent way.  It is at these exact moments that our faith will grow abundantly strong!  It is out of these distinct trials that we DO learn that God really can take care of this for us! 

Exodus 14:30-31 God delivered Israel that day from the oppression of the Egyptians.  And Israel looked at the Egyptian dead, washed up on the shore of the sea, and realized the tremendous power that God brought against the Egyptians.  The people were in reverent awe before God and trusted in God and his servant Moses. (Italics mine.)

And guess what else happens, besides our faith growing in huge leaps and bounds, when He shows up in such a giant way to save the day?  You can read it....this is God speaking to Moses:

Exodus 14:4 And I'll use Pharaoh and his army to put my Glory on display.  Then the Egyptians will realize that I am God." 


My little dog....basking in the sun..resting for sure!

God's glory can be displayed in our situation if we allow Him to take over!  At that point, His glory is apparent to everyone....believers and nonbelievers alike.  Pretty amazing!

Lord,
Thank you for allowing your Word to strengthen my faith and encourage my heart.  It is so good to know that you are with us and You will take care of the need we have right now!  Help us to rest in Your care.
In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment