Friday, January 27, 2012

Joy

 Psalm 119:23(NIV)
Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on Your decrees.


My kids with Grandpa and Grandma.

Yes, today's verse is easy to understand in this season of my life.  It says that His "servant will meditate upon" His decrees.  Not only can I meditate on the Lord's direction given through His Word, but I can purpose to apply those directives with the ever present help of the Holy Spirit.  My weekend was full of the emotion of joy, as I experienced some fun family events.   There is a command that is written in the New Testament that I had absolutely no trouble basking in throughout my time off.

I Thessalonians 5:16(NIV)~Be joyful always.
Again, the circumstances of this joyous weekend made it easy to be overwhelmed with a spirit of thankfulness and pleasure, but what about when we are living in the midst of a trial?  What then?  How do we stand in a posture of joy when the walls around us are crumbling and toppling over? 

The answer to those tough questions are found in the next decree written in the two verses following verse sixteen.

1 Thessalonians 5:17&18(NIV)~Pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Wow!  That's incredible.  I wonder how many times I have said something like, "I'm just not sure what God's will is for my life".  In these three verses alone, I could live my entire life with direction and purpose!  I could sum it up like this:  Be in Christ Jesus; pray continually; and be joyful all the while.

Father,
You are so good!  You never change.  You are always there for us and You clearly guide us. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to celebrate a joyous family event this past weekend.  Through Your clear direction today, I can live with purpose and conviction!
In Christ's name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment