Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Insatiable Appetite

Psalm 119:20(MSG)
My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous-insatiable for Your nourishing commands.

Today in the Voice Bible, I am reading about Jesus as He was directed by the Spirit into the desert after His baptism.  (Matthew chapter 4.)  The Lord must have been "starved and hungry" as today's verse describes, because he had been fasting for forty days and forty nights before three huge temptations were presented to Him by Satan~the "tempter".  

When I think about fasting, the Bible is very clear that some things will only happen when we pray and fast.  I figure if Jesus needed to fast to be prepared for what the devil would attempt to tease Him with...how much more do I need it?!  I also can attest to the fact that as I have approached great obstacles in my life,  and I have committed a period of time to fasting and prayer for said trials, the results have always strengthened my walk with God. 
My daughter's love for animals is infinite.

The following are some of the things that I have learned during periods of fasting.  First of all, I have learned that I enjoy food!  Seriously, though, I do enjoy food and when I fast, I realize what a gift it is to have food available whenever I want it.  It gives me a grateful and appreciative heart.  Secondly, fasting gives me a peace and confidence to know that I am being obedient to what the Lord wants for me.  I can have a steadfast assurance in my mind and heart that I have presented my request to the Lord and He sees and hears my request.  At that point, a trust wells up within my heart that convinces me that I have done my part and He will work out His good and perfect will in my situation.  (Even if it means that things don't work out the way that I thought they should.) 

Thirdly, fasting has a way of clearing the clutter out of my head.  It helps me to sharpen my focus on, as this verse says, His "nourishing commands."  Put more succinctly, I literally have a higher awareness and sensitivity to the spiritual world as I deny myself some of the physical comforts that I have grown accustomed to.  Finally, fasting allows me to recognize God's sovereign hand upon my life and it increases my ability to recognize His active presence in my home.  As I reflect upon those times in the past when I have fasted, I can always see a clear picture of how He provided for some very specific needs.

Father,
It is my desire to have a constant hunger and insatiable appetite for Your Word.  It is my prayer that Your words will live richly within the fortress of my heart and within the hearts of those reading these words today.  May You be glorified in all that we do...including fasting. 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment