Friday, October 7, 2011

The Calling

Psalm 136:26(MSG)
Thank God, who did it all!  His love never quits! 

Wow, this is the last verse in this wonderful Psalm!  What a blessing the words of Psalm 136 have been in my life over the past few weeks.  They have certainly become part of my thoughts and prayers, as I have reflected on His continual love for me....no matter what!  I am so glad I have been able to ponder on the goodness of the repetitive statement, "His love never quits." 

Last night, I had the opportunity to meet Eric Metaxas at an event for our school.  He is the author of the New York Times Bestseller:  Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy.   I listened intently as this writer addressed the room full of people.  There was a definite sense that Eric genuinely loves the Lord and that he wrote this book out of a heart filled with this "unquitting love" for God and a driven desire to carry out the calling on his life. As he passionately told the story of this German pastor, who lived by faith and conviction and ultimately gave his life for standing up against the Nazi regime to honor God, it came to me! 

The simple word "calling".  It kept replaying in my head.  We always talk about finding our "calling".  But, last night, for the first time in my memory, I felt sure that I finally understood it.  As children of God, we all have the same calling!  It's so simple that I wonder why it has been this big question in my mind since I was in high school.  My calling, your calling, Bonhoeffer's calling, your children's calling, and your grandchildren's calling, are all the same!  Ready....I read it in last night's post.....

"Feed my sheep".  That's it!  Feed His sheep.  If I will do that with the "little while" that I am here on this planet, then I have accomplished my calling!  It's so simple.  I guess the hard part is walking in the courage and faith to step out and do it........no matter the cost!
Can't wait to read more of this book and hear how Bonhoeffer completed the task of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ (feeding the sheep)!
As always~I'll keep you "posted"!

Father,
Thank you for Your Word that tells me so much about Your never ending love for us.  It is a faith builder for certain!!  
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment