Monday, October 18, 2010

The Appointment

Matthew 10:29-31  "What's the price of a pet canary?  Some loose change, right?  And god cares what happens to it even more than you do.  He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail--even numbering the hairs on your head!"  (Holy Bible~MSG)

  Well, so off I go to the second appointment. 
 It was much different than the first visit.  I thought I had it down, but I knew from the beginning it was not the same.  I have sense learned that only 6-8% of the people who have routine screening mamograms are called back for "further testing".   It's not really a group you want to be put in, by the way.
At the facility where I went, they seat those that are returning for more tests or procedures in a different area.  You enter through a different door and after putting on the customary top, you are seated in a different waiting room....seperate from the routine screening folks, but together with that 6-8%. 
  That one fact alone makes the whole experience a bit daunting.  Suddenly, you begin to realize that all of these ladies are returning for more pictures.  Some of them, as I would find out, were breast cancer survivors doing their faithful rechecks.  (I have a whole new respect for breast cancer survivors....and I had a LOT to begin with!!)  Others, were actually getting some sort of treatment under the visual guidance of the  high tech. equipment.  Still others (like myself) had something on their screening that needed "further investigation."
  So, there we sat.  Reading, staring at a ridiculous talk show, or making idle chit/chat with our neighbor.  One by one we were called back.  Some would come out of the room and sit back down....some (with a hint of a smile) would leave for the dressing room and pass back by completely clothed and exiting through the door we first came through.
  I watched and waited.......willing them to call my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment