Wednesday, March 14, 2012

God Won't Let You Down

Psalm 119:31(MSG)
I grasp and cling to whatever You tell me; God, don't let me down!
I've been reading some of the miracles that Jesus displayed during His short walk here on earth.  They are very interesting to me.  Specifically the one where He is seen walking on water past His very own disciple's boat and yet they don't recognize him. (Mark 6:45-53)
They were told by the Lord to get in the boat and go to Bethsaida.  They obeyed, but as they were crossing the lake, they experienced great winds which made them unable to make progress.  They kept trying late into the night, making very little progress.

 Blue Herring walking across the water.
Jesus watches them struggle from the land.  Finally, He begins walking on the water as though He plans on passing them and arriving at Bethsaida, but as they see Him, they all freak out!  The Bible says the disciples think He is a ghost and they are all terrified.  I guess at that point, the Lord sees their reaction and quickly calls out to them.  Once He calls out to them, they comprehend who it is that is walking across the water.  When He jumps in the boat...the wind stops and the water calms down.

Here's the goofiest part of the whole thing.  The disciples are dismayed by The Lord's ability to quiet the wind!!  How can this be?!  They had just witnessed the feeding of the 5,000 people with bread and a fish, and yet they were surprised.  Why?  The Word of God tells me that it was because their hearts remained hard.

I read this passage in The Voice.  The commentary following this portion of scripture goes hand in hand with today's verse.  When we "cling to whatever God tells us" (listening and recognizing His voice), we will then develop a faith in Him that will allow His activity in our lives to be unleashed and a deep trust to be developed.  Faith first....and then miracles!  It is not miracles first and then faith.

When we are in doubt about who Jesus is we will continually live in a state of duplicity in our daily walk.  In this scenario Jesus directly told them to get in the boat and travel to Bethsaida.  They ran into some rough water.  They weren't making any progress, but didn't they trust the Lord enough to know that the God of heaven had sent them and that He surely would get them there?

Ugh...I can so relate to these guys.  How many times am I totally sure that the Lord has set me in the water on a direct course and the minute the wind whips up and I appear to be making little progress, I question the assignment!?  Good grief!  Has this ever happened to you?  The following scripture is my remedy for this thought process.

Romans 10:17(ESV) So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Lord,
Thank You for Your Word that reveals to me that I am not always going to understand the reason for the wind.  Thank You for showing me that even in the times of my life when I am struggling to make progress on the assignment You have given me, You are watching me and You will never let me down! 
In Christ name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment