Sunday, July 24, 2011

Offensive Ways

Psalm 139:24(NIV)
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

As I have been reading the dreadful news coming out of Western Europe from yesterday's rampage carried out by one man, I shutter as I read this verse today.  I don't want to dwell on the darkness that seems to sweep over our world in torrent waves of evil, but I must reflect momentarily on the sadness that has been created by the action of just one person.  Until yesterday, I wasn't even aware that there existed an island in Norway by the name of Utoya.  Now, however, as an entire world looks on, we are seeing it's great beauty of tree lined shores and recreational paths from an altered perspective of premature death instead of the symbol of life and vitality that it should be.  All of this because of one man's actions! 

Heart breaking news of violent acts similar to this one saturate our news and media outlets.  Why?  I suppose it could be argued that it all comes down to this one verse...."offensive ways" within us.  Oh, of course, I am not even suggesting that everyone has this propensity for such evil action, but without the Lord....hmmmm....perhaps?  The thought of being without Him paralyzes me in my tracks....without His leading me "in the way everlasting"...I'm lost...and my actions are driven by selfish desires....of murderous proportion. 

As a child of God, I am constantly seeking and living in the "way everlasting".  If I understand that I serve a loving God...the Father...who loves me and gave His son's life for me....I will most certainly be asking Him to reveal any ways hidden within me that are grievous to His Spirit. 

Father,

So often I find myself starting prayers with...."I just don't understand why this happened."  Here I am again.  I don't understand the actions from this one man yesterday!  I can only guess at the incredible ripple effect of hurt that has been forced into people's lives through it.  I am asking You to bring peace and comfort to the broken hearts affected by the loss and tragedy within Norway's people.  I pray that you would restore the bodies of those who are clinging to life and give them courage to press on in You....Your son really is our only bridge to life!  
In Jesus Name,
Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment