Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cheap God Imitations

Psalm 139:20(MSG)
All the men and women who belittle you, God, infatuated with cheap god-imitations.

I don't believe in coincidences, so it is really phenomenal to me that this verse should "pop up" right now....after my little summer break.....during my regular Bible reading in Jeremiah where he is talking about the way the Israelites are chasing other "gods".  Add to this timing the fact that a dear friend of mine in my Life Group at church has orchestrated a summer Bible study titled:  NOGs...standing for "No Other Gods".  Accidental timing?  I think not!

God is not in the accident business.  I believe that He cares about me so much that He really would line all this up to bring home a wonderful message that He wants for me to hear and learn from.  Kind of sounds a little selfish I know...but I draw that conclusion after reading the beginning of Psalm 139 where David describes a God just like this.  He says in verse 139:5: "You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me."  If He is laying His hand upon me, then most assuredly He is lining up some good words to teach me!  

So...about today's verse...it says right before in 139:19 for people like this to "get out!!"   There is no room or place for belittling God...yet, it is so rampant in our society today...sadly.  What is even more intriguing to me, however, is the part about choosing other god-imitations.  I'm thinking that a little pondering about who I'm serving is probably in my future.  Just a little reality check and housekeeping to be sure that who I say I serve....is actually who is getting the majority of my time and focus.

Praying tonight for an exciting summer journey through the "NOGs" Bible study.  (No Other Gods: Confronting our modern day idols by Kelly Minter).  You can purchase this study on line or at your local Christian book store if you want to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment