Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Lord Of All lords

Psalm 136:3(MSG)
Thank the Lord of all lords.  His love never quits.

I saw a bumper sticker this morning while I was driving my son to his job.  It read:  Loving Kindness Is My Religion.  That made me sad and I have been thinking about this most of the day.  I noticed that the driver looked very tired as she stared ahead with her elbow resting on the edge of the window.  I wondered if she had completely worn herself out trying to work for His love or for the approval of others.  At first the statement sounded kind of ok....you know...helping people, that must be good, right?  But then when I pair it with today's verse, I recognize that a statement like this really diminishes what Christ did for me on the cross.  I realize that in this chapter, Psalm 136, God is listing the ways that He has shown His love to us.  Right here at the top of the list rests the number one act that reveals that amazing love....and we can't earn it....it's a gift!

John 3:16-18(MSG)
"This is how much God loved the world:  He gave His son, His one and only Son.  And this is why:  so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in Him anyone can have a whole and lasting life.  God didn't go to all the trouble of sending His Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was.  He came to help, to put the world right again.  Anyone who trusts in Him is acquitted;  anyone who refuses to trust Him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it.  And why?  Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to Him.

Our acts of kindness are not the way to eternal life....they are the evidence of Him living in us.  Our belief and faith in Christ is the only way to an abundant life here on earth and an everlasting spot in heaven.  I guess if I were to put a bumper sticker on my car it might read:   Loving Kindness Is My Response 

I am thanking God right now....as the verse says....for His incredible gift of His son and our Lord!!  I am also praying that the sweet lady in that car today might know how much Christ loves her and find rest and peace in Him, not in her works.
This is my daughter kindly feeding "Anna-Belle" a sweet blade of grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment