Thursday, November 12, 2015

Don't Second Guess God

Psalm 119:93(MSG)
But I'll never forget the advice You gave me; You saved my life with those wise words.

Oh my goodness...this verse! 

I have been thinking a great deal as of late, about where I would be in my life without the comforting and wise words of the Lord. Yesterday, I mulled over the simple nuggets of counsel that I found in Proverbs chapters 30 & 31. It's such a gift to have the words of a sage scrolled succinctly across the page; timeless advice inspired by God that is as applicable today as it was when it was penned.

SweeTango Apple (Photo credit to SweeTango)
After reading today's headlines and reviewing last night's presidential debate, I found the words of Proverbs to be even more comforting. Why? Because it seems that the human condition is not new. We humanoids have always struggled. Ever since Eve took that tiny bite of a SweeTango apple, (my favorite apple on planet earth...but I digress) we have been burdened with the temptations of our flesh. 

The difference maker in every situation, however, appears to be in how we respond to the challenges that are laid before us. Will we react in anger when provoked? Will we cower down in the corner when the road looks uphill and rocky? Will we repeat the good and bad parts of history...or understand and learn from the bad decisions that have been made in the past and imitate those choices that have brought life to our lives? Will we "Speak up for the people who have no voice, for the rights of all the down-and-outers. Speak out for justice! Stand up for the poor and destitute!" as it states in Proverbs 31:8-9.

This is my sister (right) and I after completing some gardening
on her beautiful property this past summer.
Good stuff to ponder, eh? Here's the good news~better news~best news: The pressure is off of us; We don't have to bear it; Thankfully, it's not in our own strength to handle this messy life, but in the power of Christ as we seek Him and put Him first in every situation. Sounds simple enough doesn't it? It is easy...until the healing doesn't come. Or the child is taken from you. Or the husband leaves you alone with children and bills. Or the boss fires you. Or...(fill in the blank). 

After fifty years of life, it has become increasingly difficult to understand the ways of God. I do not have the answers, I only have the trust and faith that my Lord is real and very much seated at the right hand of God today....interceding on behalf of each one of His children. I believe that He is washing away our dirty sins and preparing us for a "Wonderful Life" (my favorite movie...but I digress again) with Him in our eternal home. 

So, in closing...I leave you with the words of Agur Ben Jakeh, the writer of Proverbs 30. Chapters 30 and 31 of the book of Proverbs are considered to be prophecies and because they were canonized it is assumed that they are indeed the inspired words of God Himself. These very verses really do have the potential to "save lives", as Psalm 119:93 states. It is my prayer that I will never second guess my God....on any matter. I pray I will never turn from His hand of direction. I am begging Christ to shine His love through my life, so that I will always bring honor and glory to His Holy name.

Proverbs 30:1-6(MSG)

The skeptic swore, "There is no God! No God! I can do anything I want! I'm more animal than human; so-called human intelligence escapes me. I flunked 'wisdom.' I see no evidence of a holy God. Has anyone ever seen Anyone climb into Heaven and take charge? Grab the winds and control them? Gather the rains in His bucket? Stake out the ends of the earth? Just tell me his name, tell me the names of his sons. Come on now-tell me!"

The believer replied, "Every promise of God proves true; He protects everyone who runs to Him for help. So don't second guess Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment