Saturday, February 22, 2014

Testing My Resolve........

Psalm 119:75 I can see now, God, that Your decisions are right;  Your testing has taught me what's true and right.

There is a rumor that a supposed "church" is coming to Springfield tonight to "picket" against our community's Candle Light Vigil that has been designed to show support to the family and friends of Hailey Owens.  These people obviously have another agenda and it sort of makes me want to vomit.  To think that a group would attempt to use the platform of an innocent girl's memorial as a mouthpiece for their hatred, churns my stomach and brings about feelings of anger. 

I suppose, as with many circumstances in life, rather than just get mad and stop there, I need to chose to use this as an opportunity to be taught some important lessons of truth and righteousness from a loving Savior, as these words from Psalm 119:75 describe.  These types of situations are exactly the ones that, if I yield to Him, will grow within me a deeper dependence upon the Holy Spirit and will be evident in the fruit I bear.  Once again, I am reminded that what I do with my emotions is what truly counts....in my anger...I shouldn't sin.

I was blessed to read Pastor Kevin Carson's blog post on this very subject.  He is the senior pastor of Sonrise Baptist in Ozark, MO.  I am leaving you the link to his post, because he gives a tangibly practical description of how a Christ follower needs to respond tonight if and when we are confronted with any negativity.  Pastor Kevin's description of "determined kindness" with the humble response of Christ is, in fact, exactly what I needed to hear at this point in time!  If you have a few minutes to read his words, I know you will be as blessed as I was. 

Pastor Kevin's post is titled:  "What Do You Do When Westboro Shows Up At Your Memorial?"  (Click here to read the post.)

Father,
May Your protection be upon each and every person who participates this evening.  May Hailey's family and friends feel Your hand of love extended to them tonight through this visible show of support.
In Christ's Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment