Sunday, May 8, 2011

Avoiding Catastrophe

Proverbs 6:15(MSG)
Catastrophe is just around the corner for them, a total smashup, their lives ruined beyond repair.

When I started this blog, I decided to take the Proverb verses one by one in the order they fall in the Bible, and just simply ponder them day by day.  I have to say, that this is certainly not the Proverb verse that I would have chosen to highlight such a special day like Mother's Day, but then God's word is His word, so I am to sticking with the plan.

Now then.....here is the deal.  The verse is actually talking about "Riffraff and Rascals", as they are referred to in the previous verse.  Apparently, these guys/gals talk out of both sides of their faces and "wheel and deal" in a vain attempt to get what their selfish desires drive them towards.  Today's verse is letting me know what they have waiting for them due to their poor choices. 

However, as I began to reflect on these words and how they could possibly relate to mothers, I had a "light bulb" moment.  Here is what "lit up" in my head.  These sad words can easily be applied to the child who will not listen to their mother!!  Eureka!  That's what this verse has to do with Mother's Day!!

One of the first directives (well maybe not the first...but surely it's pretty close to the first) in the Bible about this very thing, comes from God himself as He gives Moses clearly defined commandments for the Israelites to obey.  Exodus 20:12(MSG)~Honor your father and mother so that you'll live a long time in the land that God, your God, is giving you. (Italics/bold mine.)  When children choose to honor and obey the commands of their father and mother, it is clear that they will have a long life in whatever setting God has placed them in.  With this in mind, I am then going to draw the conclusion that if they don't honor their parents...."catastrophe is just around the
corner." 


This picture is such a sweet example of the watchful eye of a mother.  I had the opportunity to observe this new baby calf as it learned to walk right outside my window.  You can see his Mama standing by....letting him take the fall, but eagerly instructing him every step of the way.  Pretty sweet, huh? 

God has gifted me with one of the best, Godliest mother's out there.  I esteem her today and give her my thanks for all of her prayers and sacrifices throughout the years, so that I could learn from her and grow in the love and grace that God had in mind for me.  Thank you Mom and I love you so much!!  You have given me the confidence to walk toward any goal that I feel God is calling me to....even to this day you encourage and bless me!  It is my hope that I can give back to you just a little of what you have given to me in the years to come.

Lord,
Thank you for the gift of motherhood.  Thank you for those mothers that have had their season of work and are now in their "golden years".  Reward them for their labor of love and for all of the sacrifices they have given along the way.....those that we recognize and those that we aren't even aware of.  Thank you for those mothers who are in the middle of their parenting season as well.  May you grant us the knowledge and patience to consistently provide Your wisdom and love to the children that you have given us the privilege to call "ours" for the time that You will allow us to have them in our care.  Give us courage to follow Your voice in all matters relating to mothering these precious charges.

And Father.....one more thing.....for those women tonight who are wanting to become mothers, please bless them with children.  Speak into their hearts tonight and supply them with confidence to know that You have heard their request and will give them the desires of their hearts.  Restore their heavy hearts with a spirit of joy....and bless them with a child as you did Hannah in 1 Samuel 1-2.  Help them to persevere in their request to You, as she did....1 Samuel 1:12~As she kept on praying to the Lord......16~I have been praying here out of my great anguish and grief.

And after Hannah received from the Lord....here is part of her prayer....
1 Samuel 2:1-2
Then Hannah prayed and said:  "My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high.  My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in Your deliverance.  There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you;  there is no rock like our God.

I praise You tonight Father, because there is truly no one Holy like You!

Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment