Thursday, March 24, 2011

Road Of Wrongdoing

Proverbs 4:19 (MSG)
But the road of wrongdoing gets darker and darker--
travelers can't see a thing; they fall flat on their faces.

I used go to sleep~overs at my friend's house when we were in high school.  I loved staying at her house because she was one of my closest friends.  We would stay up late talking about the things young girls talk about, but one of the other reasons that I thought staying at her house was so amazing was because of her dark room.  Her room was in the basement.  It was one of those rooms that didn't have any windows.  It was so dark in her room that you wouldn't have any idea what time it was when you got up in the morning, until you walked out and the day light hit you right in the face.

Tonight's verse made me think about my friend's room because of the "darker and darker" statement.  You would think that darkness is darkness.  But it isn't necessarily the case.  I mean, my room at home was dark, but there was certainly a source of light gently feeding into it, so that when you got used to it, you could see pretty good.  Not so my friend's room.  It was pitch black and your eyes never adjusted to it. 

The darkness that starts out as gray with a dim light seeping into the room, quickly turns to deep darkness.  So much like sin isn't it?  As a person starts out in wrongdoing, it may be small offenses.  However, before the person notices it, they have fallen into deeper and deeper sin and pretty soon their room has become pitch black.  

Praying tonight to remain guarded against wrongdoing.  Asking the Lord to help me remain alert to His voice so that I might avoid any pitfalls that will throw me into darkness.
Slow Fade by Casting Crowns is one of my favorite songs and seems to describe what can happen to us if we do not remain in the vine...connected to the power of the cross! (Click to hear song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment